27 ESSENTIAL RUNNING BLISTER TIPS
[Updated for 2019]
You feel the sting of a blister: on your pinky toe; under the ball of your foot; or on the edge of your heel.
What do you do next? Ignore it? Or deal with it? How are you going to deal with it? What equipment or gear are you going to need?
If you have questions about how to treat the blisters you’ve got, or how to stop them from forming in the first place, you’ll find the answers below.
A) Blisters By Anatomical Location
1. Toe blisters - From big toe to pinky toe, between the toes, on top of toes and toenail blisters
2. Heel blisters - The biomechanics of heel blisters (4 types!) and their treatment
3. Arch blisters - How to manage arch blisters, whether you wear orthotics or not
4. Edge blisters - Is your blister an edge blister, and why it matters?
5. Blisters under the ball of the foot - Because there's nothing worse than running with these blisters
6. The most likely spot you’ll get a blister - Sage advice for anyone traiing for a running event
B) Types And Stages Of Blisters You Will Encounter
7. Hot-spots - The precursor to a blister: What you can do to stop it before it starts
8. Blister prone - Wait, why do I get blisters when others don’t?
9. Blood blisters - How to manage the risks with confidence
10. Deroofed blisters - Worse than an ordinary blister and worth avoiding!
11. Trench foot - Not blisters, but maceration is a terrible affliction to avoid
C) Prevention Strategies For Running Blisters
12. Gaiters - Everything you’ve wanted to know about gaiters, including DIY (Sarah Lavender Smith)
13. Lubricants - Another popular one for runners - Do you know these facts?
14. Cushioning - Helps prevent blisters in two ways.
15. Blister taping - Our popular first-line of defence - What you need to know if it’s not stopping your blisters!
16. Running shoes - How to choose the best running shoes based on scientific evidence (Ian Griffiths)
17. Skin drying strategies - How do I keep my feet dry?
18. ENGO Blister Patches - Why you can't afford to ignore this strategy for prevention (and treatment)!
19. Running sock selection - An overview of fibre performance for moisture management
20. Are callouses good or bad - Setting the record straight on this age-old question
21. Double socks (and toesocks) - What this means for blister prevention
D) Blister Treatment For Runners
22. Popping blisters - Should you pop a blister on your foot? When? How? New demo videos included?
23. Blister treatment - How to treat a foot blister – Properly (Hint: It depends on your blister roof)
24. Blister kit contents - The blister kit that will take you to a whole new level of blister preparedness
25. How to relieve friction - What it REALLY means for blister healing
26. Ultramarathon blister care - An example of blister care at an ultramarathon
27. Hydrocolloid blister plasters - How they work and the common mistakes to avoid